a tiny, almost photo-less update

In case you're feeling curious, here's what's going on in my life:

1. February drew to a close today. This means that my busy season is one third complete. The easy third, that is.

2. Our laptop - the one with all the photos and the photo editing software - has decided to take a vacation. Either the hardware and/or the software is absolutely hating life, and I can't actually get the thing to boot up outside of safe mode.

3. Points #1 and #2 have seriously hindered my ability to blog, since I no longer have much control over my time or my photos.

4. I propose that the solution to #2 is to get a Mac.

5. I have no immediate solution for #1, but we are actively planning our spring and summer travel arrangements. These plans are the wellspring of hope.

6. Thinking about vacations makes me remember my last one, the details of which, under more favorable circumstances, would probably be gracing this blog. Here's an iPod photo from the Mount of Olives to tide you over:

Taken on one of the most memorable evenings of my life.

7. I'll be back in this space as soon as possible. In the meantime, stay in touch on Twitter and Instagram. And to the auditors: Keep accounting!

9 comments:

  1. Love your blog! My husband (CPA) and I have been following it religiously. We are hoping to make the leap next year and you have provided us with some wonderful inspiration and advice to help us keep moving forward and make it happen!!! Thank you for that :)

    BTW you're answer to #2 is correct! Macs are just better. I have had my Macbook Pro for 6 years and it's still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! I hope to do decide to make the move to Cayman - it's a decision we've never once regretted!

      Yeah, I've never met an unhappy Mac customer, so that's certainly a huge motivation.

      Delete
  2. Yes to the Mac! But Brent will be furious if you go to the "dark side"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to put me on blast...I'll fix the laptop tonight! :-) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention: My very handsome tech support has nearly been swallowed whole by the office these days. Now if I could just clone him to have one around the house for laptop issues and one in the office bringing home the bacon, life would be sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the motion on you getting a Mac. I'll never buy a PC again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    I love your blog. I was wondering....how long does your busy season typically last (Jan to April?) and what are the average hours that an Audit Senior would work there during busy season and also non busy season?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying! Busy season lasts from about mid-January through the end of June, with a few peaks and valleys in between. Hours worked will vary based on client portfolio, but 50 hours/week is a rough average. During non-busy season, most people work a standard 40-hour week (and take all their vacation time!)

      Delete
    2. Hi Anonymous,

      I just wanted to add to Jenn's reply - my husband is at one of the big four audit firms on island and his busy season is only from mid-Jan to end of March. I guess it just depends on the combination of which department you're in / firm you're with / who your clients are? I feel very lucky that his is a bit shorter than Jenn's.

      I'm a stay-at-home-mom and we've been here for 5 and half years now, I know pretty much NothinG about accounting / auditing other than the fact that my hubby is CRAZY busy from mid-Jan to end March =)

      PS. I love Jenn's blog too!!! Blessed to be sharing this life here in Cayman with her!

      Delete