2011 Ogier Stroke and Stride series

In one of my recent posts, I covered the popular Flowers Sea Swim that is held in Grand Cayman each year. Although a one-mile sea swim looked like an impossible distance to cover, just attending the event inspired me to pursue a bit more sea swimming in my life. And by "a bit more", I mean any amount of swimming at all. With warm air and sea temperatures here in the Cayman Islands year-round, it seems like this might be the most pleasant open water swimming I'll ever experience. So NS and I have donned our goggles a couple times since the race and met up for an after-work swim from Governor's Beach to the Ritz.


To keep us motivated to swim, we've signed up for the annual Ogier Stroke and Stride series - a set of three mini biathlons held in Grand Cayman each August. The races dates and details are as follows:

- Race 1: August 10, 2011 - 400m swim, 2 mile run
- Race 2: August 17, 2011 - 600m swim, 2 mile run
- Race 3: August 24, 2011 - 800m swim, 2 mile run

All races begin and end at Sunset House, with a start time of 5:45 pm - right after work. Perfect!

I like how the race distances see both challenging (for a new swimmer, like myself) and doable. No one distance seems unattainable, but the fact that it's a race will give me a run for my money.

You can sign up for one, two, or all of the races. Each race is $15, but all three cost just $30 ($45 after a $15 Cayman Islands Triathlon membership fee). Teams are also welcome to participate, with a cost of $25/race or $50 for the series. Signing up online allows you to pay in USD rather than KYD in person, making the races that much more affordable.

I obtained all these details from www.caymanactive.com, which is where you can sign up online and get further details. For those readers that have participated in prior years, please comment on what you thought of these races!

Like so many sporting events in Grand Cayman, every skill level is invited and encouraged to participate in this series. It's important for all of us to stay active and healthy, and this is a fun way to meet a great group of athletes (and non-athletes) while enjoying Cayman's famous coastline. Whether your goal is to win the gold or just spot a sea turtle during one of the swims, it's bound to be a positive experience. So grab your goggles and your running shoes, and get out there!

1 comments:

  1. I love swimming but hate (I know... Very strong word!) running, so if you have any friends looking for a swimmer next year, I'm in!!!

    ReplyDelete